PayJunction is seeking an in-house General Counsel to provide valuable, reliable, and strategic legal guidance. This person will oversee, manage, and effectively administer the legal affairs of the company. The ideal candidate will create win-win solutions without compromising our integrity or safety. Payments experience is a must for applicants.
All PayJunction employees are currently working remotely while our Santa Barbara and Minneapolis offices are closed due to Covid-19. Once it is safe to return to the office, this person can choose to work from our downtown Santa Barbara office or to remain full-time remote. All applicants must reside in one of the following states: CA, IL, TX, MN, CO.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Owning, cultivating, and further developing the legal department’s mission, strategies, and goals to align with those of the company
- Reviewing, drafting, negotiating, and managing a variety of commercial agreements between PayJunction and all types of vendors and partners
- Merchant Agreements
- Gateway Agreements
- Referral Partner Agreements
- Terms and Conditions
- Cross Corporate Guarantees
- Vendor Contract Management
- Privacy Policies
- Governance and Corporate Minutes
- Employment Matters (Full Lifecycle)
- Commission and Comp Plans
- Bonus Plans
- Retention Plans
- Hiring and Separation Support
- Employment Manuals
- Engaging, coordinating, and managing outside counsel and other legal service providers that specialize in specific fields, ensuring that the level of investment is appropriate to the risk, impact, and immediacy of project needs
- Banking, ISO, and Payments Industry Agreements
- IP and Service Marks
- Privacy Laws
- Advanced Employment Matters
- Merchant Bankruptcies and Collection Efforts
- Liens and UCC FIlings
- Corporate Filings and Foreign Entity Registration
- Advising, partnering, and communicating with HR on employment matters as needed
- Creating and improving templates, playbooks, and processes that allow us to deliver a high volume of deal types quickly and at scale
- Ensuring contract terms and conditions are consistent with internal policies and goals (including vendor management)
- Advising every team on relevant legal contexts, issues, risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures
- Ability to drive, contain, and take ownership of projects and tasks in order to bring them to prompt and effective completion
- Ability to prioritize and manage workloads to meet deadlines in a challenging and fast-paced environment
- Flexibility and a strong desire to work on a variety of legal matters, continue to learn, and have a meaningful impact on the company
- Ability to summarize and communicate legal concepts clearly and effectively
- Ability to collaborate as a reliable team-player
- Excellent judgment and communication skills with a strong attention to detail
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school
- Membership in at least 1 U.S. State Bar (preferably CA), with good standing
- Minimum 5 - 7 years work experience, including demonstrable:
- Experience advising board of directors, executive leadership, and senior management on critical legal issues
- Expertise in structuring, negotiating, and drafting documents pertaining to complex legal issues and transactions
- Subject matter competency in as many of the job responsibility categories outlined above
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word (Redlining / Revision Features)
- Comfortable and willing to use an Apple workstation (MacOS) (required)
- Comfortable using Google GSuite (GMail, GDocs, GCal, *GDrive*)
- Comfortable using Docusign and other e-sign technology
- Comfortable using Zoom and Slack for heavy remote communications
- Knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, scanning tools, or other OCR technology
- Experience with Atlassian Confluence (wiki) and Jira (ticket) tools is a plus, willingness to learn and use is a must.
Founded in 2000 by three UCSB graduates, PayJunction has grown from a bootstrapped startup to a recognized and respected leader in the payments industry. PayJunction processes more than $5 billion dollars annually for tens of thousands of small and medium businesses with solutions that make it easy to accept credit and debit card payments in-store, online and on-the-go.
Our focus on computer science as an art—combined with our ethical, customer-centric attitude—drives us to develop disruptive technology that lowers costs, simplifies accounting and boosts productivity for small and medium sized businesses. Our cloud-powered payment solution easily and securely integrates with industry-leading business software and management platforms. We take pride in delivering innovative features such as eco-friendly digital signatures and receipts that eliminate the hassles and costs of paper by storing all transactions in the cloud.
Our people-first culture values long-term relationships over short-term profits. Honesty and integrity are part of every interaction with partners, customers and employees. We foster a collaborative work environment, where creative ideas are welcomed, teams are inspired, and success is celebrated. PayJunction is a place where you can find experienced mentors and supportive friends who are committed to your growth.
- Health, dental and vision paid 100%
- 401k with 6% match
- FSA and Dependent Care FSA
- Long-term disability
- 8 paid company holidays per year
- 1 paid floating holiday per year
- 1 paid volunteer day per year
- Generous paid sick and vacation time
- Competitive compensation
- Opportunity to be part of a company that is changing a whole industry
- Opportunity for growth within the company
- For the time being, our employees are working remotely to protect their safety during COVID. Our offices will be closed at least through June of 2021.
- When our offices reopen, you can look forward to:
- Bright and open offices in downtown Santa Barbara
- Catered Friday lunches and stocked kitchen
- Collaborative work spaces with Herman Miller chair, height-adjustable desks and multiple monitors
- Dog-friendly office
- We currently still offer:
- We value long-term relationships over short-term profit.
- We are building something that will last longer than us.
- We are passionate about our work and inspired by our team.
- We create products that improve the lives of our customers.
- We build green technology that costs less than our prospective clients pay now.
- We are constantly innovating.
PayJunction is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a work environment where people from all backgrounds and identities thrive. We firmly believe that more diversity and inclusion in our workforce creates a stronger team, product and culture.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. PayJunction reserves the right to conduct background and/or credit checks on all of its potential employees.