As a Senior Engineer at PayJunction you will be working with a team of engineers to design, build, and maintain our payments services and infrastructure. This includes our Smart Terminal Devices, our Virtual Terminal, and our Account Management Solution. You will also be creating new backend systems and services that will unlock new enablements for our customers. You will need strong attention to detail in tackling technical challenges as the company continues to grow our capabilities and customer offerings. Our ideal candidate has been around the SaaS industry, knows what works and what doesn't, and is ready to pivot when needed.
PayJunction is relentless and emphatical about helping others. We exist to drive the success of our partners. Specifically, the developers who connect to us, businesses who process payments through us, and all of our team members who work with us at PayJunction.
We believe dreams inspire people to start a business, and others to partner with them. While building dreams, entrepreneurs and business professionals will face many challenges along the way. We believe great partners can make all the difference.
We are your dream partner.
Your success is our success.
Our dream is to help you realize yours.
We exist to drive the success of our partners. We do this by fundamentally changing the way you transact with others. We just happen to make great products. If you love helping others succeed, in a culture that celebrates perfecting your craft, consider partnering with us.
PayJunction takes a Flex First approach to work environments. This means that our team members can choose to work from our Santa Barbara office or remotely from home. We ensure that everyone has the resources and equipment to work where they feel most productive. We trust our teams to make the best decision for their work environment. All PayJunction employees must reside in one of the following states: CA, IL, TX, MN, CO, GA.
Execution & Growth
- Own design, planning, execution and testing for projects.
- Deliver well functioning software with automated testing to prevent future regressions.
- Deliver work that delights customers.
- Estimate projects and deliver on those estimations.
- Identify problems and risks in one's own and others' work.
- Identify technical debt before it grows into debt that requires significant up-front work to resolve.
- Be proactive in identifying and fixing issues.
- Create model documentation extended by others.
- Understand and make well-reasoned decisions in their team’s area; able to work in other areas with guidance.
- Work with cross team stakeholders to define requirements.
- Seek empirical evidence through proof of concepts, tests and external research.
- Resolve a wide range of issues in creative ways.
- Scope and stages work into well-defined milestones to avoid a monolithic deliverable.
- Select methods and techniques that result in low-defect, high-performance software that is easy for the team to maintain and extend.
- Go-to expert in one area of the codebase.
- Demonstrate knowledge of industry trends, our infrastructure and tools.
- Approach all engineering work with a security, reliability, privacy, and compliance lens. Identifies issues throughout the software engineering process beginning in the design phase.
- Able to complete software engineering projects with minimal vulnerabilities.
- Be an effective cross-functional communicator, and work well with adjacent teams.
- Mentor junior engineers.
- Contribute to Engineering all hands or demos.
- Identify and communicate requirements problems early.
- Receive little instruction on day-to-day work, general instructions on new assignments.
- Require minimal direction/oversight.
- Participate in evaluation portions of interview loops.
- May actively recruit engineering candidates.
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent degree or work experience.
- 5+ years of professional experience developing Java applications – including delivering RESTful apis
- Has been the owner of an important system.
- Has experience on multiple teams or in multiple roles.
- Has completed projects that incorporate multiple areas such as: UX, product development, reliability, security, performance, internal tools, etc.
- Is a go-to-expert in one language, or experience with multiple languages.
- Is a go-to-expert in one development framework, or experience with multiple development frameworks.
- Is a go-to-expert in a few, or has experience with many, technologies in areas like data stores, networking, development tools, etc.
- Hands-on experience with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills.
- Fluent working in Linux.
- SaaS industry experience (payments industry experience a plus).
- Solid experience with quality processes, such as test-driven (TDD).
- Strong experience with Agile software engineering methodologies and able to mentor others in these practices.
- Experience working with PCI requirements in an engineering environment.
Founded in 2000 by three UCSB graduates, PayJunction has grown from a bootstrapped startup to a recognized and respected leader in the payments industry. PayJunction processes more than $7 billion dollars annually for tens of thousands of small and medium businesses with solutions that make it easy to accept credit and debit card payments in-store, online and on-the-go.
Our focus on computer science as an art—combined with our ethical, customer-centric attitude—drives us to develop disruptive technology that lowers costs, simplifies accounting and boosts productivity for small and medium sized businesses. Our cloud-powered payment solution easily and securely integrates with industry-leading business software and management platforms. We take pride in delivering innovative features such as eco-friendly digital signatures and receipts that eliminate the hassles and costs of paper by storing all transactions in the cloud.
Our people-first culture values long-term relationships over short-term profits. Honesty and integrity are part of every interaction with partners, customers and employees. We foster a collaborative work environment, where creative ideas are welcomed, teams are inspired, and success is celebrated. PayJunction is a place where you can find experienced mentors and supportive friends who are committed to your growth.
- Health, dental and vision paid 100%
- 401k with 6% match
- FSA and Dependent Care FSA
- Long-term and Short-term disability paid 100%
- Paid time off
- 8 paid company holidays per year
- 2 paid floating holiday per year
- 1 paid volunteer day per year
- Opportunity to be part of a company that is changing a whole industry
- Opportunity for growth within the company
- The opportunity to choose the work environment that best suits you - remote, in-office, or hybrid.
- All remote & hybrid employees can enjoy:
- Company-provided equipment for your home office
- An equipment allowance for home office essentials
- Free instructor-led yoga classes via Zoom
- The opportunity to work at one of Glassdoor's Top 30 Best Places to Work in the US, 2020!
- Those who choose to come into the office can look forward to:
- Bright and open offices in downtown Santa Barbara
- Stocked snack kitchens
- Collaborative work spaces with Herman Miller chair, height-adjustable desk and a large 32-inch monitor
- Dog-friendly office
- Value Long-Term Relationships Over Short-Term Profit.
- Build the Dream.
- Put People First
- Make it Simple
- Be Data Driven
- Own It.
PayJunction is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a work environment where people from all backgrounds and identities thrive. We firmly believe that more diversity and inclusion in our workforce creates a stronger team, product and culture.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. PayJunction reserves the right to conduct background and/or credit checks on all of its potential employees.